Skip to main content

Weird things about Austria

  • The paper size is weird. It is skinnier and longer than American 8 1/2 x 11, so some kids in our group bought folders that will actually hold their homework and things.
  • Women wear ridiculously huge fur coats during the winter, and some big fur hats. But they do look mighty warm!
  • When you walk on the street, people don't try to move or make way, or avoid you. Its up to YOU to move and get out of THEIR way. I suppose having lived in Provo for a while, I'm just not used to everybody bending over backwards to make me happy. haha jk.
  • Everyone smokes. I'm sure my lungs will turn black by the time I leave. I hate to think that my clothes and other things are being engulfed in the smell of smoke. But sadly, I'm getting quite used to it.
  • The showers are strange. Well, acutally- it's because of the water heating system. There aren't vast stores of warm water before you go in to take a shower, so often, you will be forced to hose yourself down with warm water, turn the water off, lather up and shampoo, then rinse- ALL TO MAKE SURE YOU GET WARM WATER! But luckily, my shower isn't like that. It's nice. 
  • Fat people could never survive here. I probably saw my first "large" woman at church today. And I would just call her pleasantly plump. Vienna is not a plus size friendly city. Seats and passageways and other things are built narrower. But I guess its ok. Everyone is skinnier here in general than in America. 
  • And also on that note, I'm noticing quite a few tall people as well. I'm more like a normal sized person. I see tall girls like me everywhere. It's quite nice, actually. But then agian, I haven't worn my heels yet. But who would in the freezing cold when you have to walk around for hours? Not ME!
  • There's nothing like the "Goodwill" over here, so they have a flea market type of place where everyone sells vintage things and cool looking scarves! I went on Saturday morning with Carli and it was awesome. We also got to buy these huge kebabs. 


    • Tipping in restaurants is also different here. You can just round up to the nearest euro. Which is a rule that I love. But I don't plan on eating in a restaurant anytime soon. I'm a little too cheap for that.
    • I'm going to Prague for my birthday.  March 12-14. We just decided that tonight.
    • If you want just regular tap water, you have to ask for it specifically - or else you'll get bottled stuff. And sometimes, carbonated bottled stuff. NOOOOO.
    • The milk is 3.5 % fat. It is very creamy and good, but I'm afraid for my figure. And the yogurt!! I love it so much. Its like 10% fat, but it is ohh soo good. They have all sorts of flavors and types. I like the fruit ones. 
    • They don't keep their refridgerators cold enough for my taste. 
    • In homes there are "water closets" with just a toilet in what looks like a closet. But you get used to it after a while. I just wish there was a sink in my WC here at home.
    • Sometimes the decor in the homes is quite weird. Take my friend Carli's room for example: she has these "princess curtains" on one side of her bed. hahaha. :D


    Comments

    Carli Downs said…
    This is a great post. I feel that the greater populace needs to know the oddities of the Austrian people. Also, I feel kind of famous because my Princess curtains made your blog! Tee hee!
    Michael Bennett said…
    Seriously, ditto to everything in this blog.

    Except maybe the princess curtains. :)
    mmbateman said…
    Emily, This is Dad. We love to hear about wonderful Austria. Don't worry about 3.5 % milk (whole milk is 5%), it is healthy. Milk has a lot of essential nutrients. We are excited for you and Micheal Bennett our european ambassadors. Take Care. LOL
    em! that kebabathingy looks soo yummy, and huge! i think if i were in the frozen tundra city like you i would always eat large things. europe sounds like a strange and wonderful place. :)

    Popular posts from this blog

    Maybe My Dreams Are Too Small: Joining the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

    Close-up at the end of "Love One Another" on my first broadcast. I have been asked by a friend to share how I came to join the Mormon Tabernacle Choir . It's taken me a long time to put this post together. To get the full experience of this blog post, please watch the videos! I hope you'll enjoy listening to the songs. People often ask me, "What made you want to join the choir?" Grandma Bateman gave me  Consider the Lilies  soon after I turned fifteen. Mack Wilberg's grand arrangement of " I Believe in Christ " really caught my attention. I sat on my bed, captivated by the music and filled with the Spirit. The words and music of this hymn burned within my heart. I knew that what the choir sang about was true, and that Jesus was my Savior. I longed to sing with them. I knew then that I needed to join the choir. (Journal entry April 11, 2004, age 15) Happy Easter! It is my dream to become a part of the Mor...

    Moving from our first home

    We are moving from our first home in Eagle Mountain back to Provo in one month! We have loved our time out here. We have enjoyed making little home improvements to our place over the 2 1/2 years we've lived here but know that Provo is where we are supposed to be. Here's pictures of our place, which has already sold. We will remember our time here fondly! When we moved here, there was a low-hanging chandelier and unattractive fluorescent  kitchen lighting. We changed that!  There was also some crazy lighting in the front room.. see all the streaks on the walls? We got new lighting. And notice the PINK??  Fixed that too. Ashley and Ryan slept over once and really enjoyed moving around our sectional couch to make this bed-like area! We enjoyed being close to Thanksgiving point and going there for date nights or Family Nights!  Bike rides were also a favorite past time. Eagle Mountain sure has great biking trails and parks! ...

    European Choir Tour 2016

    I returned last week from the MoTab's European tour-- the first tour outside of the country in 18 years! (except a quick stint in Canada in 2003). What an experience. I felt like the whole experience was a missionary trip to uplift the hearts and minds of those who have been experiencing terrorist attacks throughout the year. Although I enjoyed touring the historic cities, nothing paralleled the feeling of singing for the people and hearing their enjoyment of our music. The music of the choir affected me greatly as a teenager, and I like to think that there were some in the audience who are like me, who came to feel the peace of the music amid these tumultuous times. This tour seemed to go more smoothly than the last one, despite it being a week longer and in seven countries where the native language isn't  English. We were more prepared as a choir with our repertoire, and I was personally more prepared. I was particularly excited to return to Austria!!!  :D All you gotta ...