On Friday we have no class. So naturally, I wake up around noon-ish to get a good start on the day. This particular morning (February 27th) I was planning on doing a walking tour of Vienna, seeing some sights... you know, the usual.
But it was Carli's birthday so we went to our favorite Shottenring Cafe for lunch! I met up with them around 1:30. Laura, Carli, Joseph and I were there talking about spy and mafia conspiracy theories, how great it would be if somebody could just choose our food for us (which the Schottenring cafe graciously did- they brought us fish and soup without us ordering it!) birthdays, friends, and family when Joseph asks:
"Do you guys want to go to Bratislava?"
We all look at each other with mischievous grins and say YES! It's an hour train ride to Bratislava from Vienna (Bratislava is the capital of Slovakia) and we called Elisabeth - she said it was a 12 euro train ticket, so we were TOTALLY on board.
I was wearing a skirt, boots, gloves, not too warm scarf, my lighter weight jacket, I had my umbrella, a camera with a dying battery, and my purse.
What could be better than to go to Slovakia on a whim?? I didn't even take my passport. Good thing they don't care and didn't even check- except at the hostel. But I'll get to that in a bit.
So we get to the train station- Joseph, Carli and Britain get on the next train to Bratislava, and Laura and I wait for Rebekah to get there, and leave on the next train. A train leaves every 1/2 hour. The ride over was beautiful, going through the Austrian and Slovakian countryside. The little houses were painted bright colors, you could see towns with nothing bigger than a church in them. And then large fields which were empty. The snow increased as we got to Bratislava. But the snow was on its way to melting.
Unfortunately, my camera battery died on me before we got there and I have no pictures. But as soon as I get some pictures from the others who came, you can bet they'll be posted!
So Laura, Rebekah and I get to Bratislava, and everything is written in Slovakian. Some things have English or German, but not very much. Soon we learned about how great the language barrier was. We had no idea how to get downtown to the center with all the historical buildings and to meet up with Joseph, Carli and Britain.
We begin asking people about bus tickets, and they're not very nice to us, but its probably because they don't know what language we're speaking. Eventually a nice young man heard us asking around and told us how to get a ticket from a kiosk at the bus stop, and where the "city center" was. We had a few rides up and down the main street of town on Bus 93... and eventually found it. It was dark outside by the time we figured out where we were and found J, C and B.
Bratislava is my new favorite city. It has so much of the narrow cobblestone roads that are only for walking, beautiful churches, and it's small and quaint, and RIGHT on the Danube. In Vienna I've only seen the Danube Canal, which is just a small little thing. The Danube is amazing. And in Bratislava there's this castle on a hill, overlooking the whole area that was built in 9th century and I couldn't stop imagining what it would've been like to be a princess and to live there and to be in love with a peasant boy and meet him in secret in the small winding streets!
Forgive my romantic rant. I can't help but get swept away in these historic cities! It is amazing. This place also reminded me of the play Mother Courage by Brecht- which is set in Poland or somewhere in Eastern Europe during the 100 years war... anyways, I just love Bratislava.
We found J, C and B in a little square with a church and a fountain. Then we ate dinner in a nice restaurant and the waiter was kind enough to give us the number of a youth hostel where we could spend the night.
Then we went to my favorite place in the WORLD: it is this little chocolate shop overlooking the fountain and church area, there's a beautiful windy staircase in the middle of it and they give you REALLY thick hot chocolate- all sorts of flavors. I got dark chocolate with haselnuts in it!! AHHH!! It was like I died and went to heaven. And it was only 2 euro. Everything in Slovakia is cheaper than in Austria. We also learned that later when shopping at the Billa nearby. Billa is our favorite grocery store in Vienna.
So after the chocolate we continue walking around the city. It was nice out, a little wet, but not rainy. There are lots of younger people out going to bars and things, when we pass this little courtyard that has Alanis Morisette music blasting. Laura and I at this point had been ITCHING for a dance party. We had been a little jittery- so we went into the small alleyway, which was empty, and danced for five minutes while the others looked on in amusement. It was kind of them to let us get some stress out. But how random is that? You're walking down this romantic cobblestone street when you hear on a side street some very loud, western music playing... it was strange, but wonderful at the same time. A blessing, actually.
So eventually, we find the youth hostel which was quite nice! All of us slept in the same room on bunks- while the majority of the hostel people were downstairs BLARING music and dancing in the bar! So needless to say, our sleep was a bit restless. The music finally stopped around 4 am. We had planned to get up at 6 to see a lot of the city before we left, but we "slept in" til 7 and then got ready for the day. Most of us had not packed much other than our clothes we were wearing. It was quite a sight. And there was only one bathroom for the entire hostel! Crazy!
Then we went to the castle!!!!!!!!!!!! We walked up the hill, then Joseph and I walked along a small stony wall, then through some snowy banks, and then up to the top to see the beautiful Danube flowing past the castle. Absolutely breathtaking! I was frolicking around with excitement. I just love exploring these types of places. After fanticizing like a maniac, we turned around and bought groceries at Billa, then headed back for the train station.
The city was definitely Westernized, but there was an "eastern" feeling to it as well. This is one of the countries that went through ethnic cleansing in the 90s, as Laura was telling us. Luckily it seems to be headed in a good direction and has the help of the EU on its side. Either way, I would love to return again someday for some chocolate and romantic walks along the Danube and through the castle.
This whirlwind adventure was thoroughly enjoyed by all. Bratislava, you are a beautiful gem of a city.
Comments