Skip to main content

Walking Tour 3

So much happens in the course of 12 hours. It's insane. 

I woke up and ate breakfast with my host sister and her friend. It's nice to have people in the house again. Then I left the apartment to go on Walking Tour #3 around the City of Vienna. Keep in mind that today is possibly one of the coldest days that I've ever felt in Vienna. And not only is it cold, but the wind is biting while we walk around in the city searching for landmarks. Quite honestly, the city of Vienna itself is a museum. Every time you turn the corner you see a sign on a building that says "Mozart lived here from 17-- to 17--" or Beethoven, or Shumann. 

CRAZY!

One of my favorite places was the church of the Order of theTeutonic Knights- built in the 14th century or something- it had lots of crests of knights on the walls within it. Then there was a story about how Richard the Lionheart was crusading and on his way back to England he was captured and held ransom in Vienna, and the ransom money given to Vienna for him was used to build a new city and fortify the walls of the existing city. I thought about how this is the era in which Robin Hood is placed! How fascinating. 

Another interesting thing is that the crusades were not necessarily pointed toward the Jews all the time. The Christians wished to take Jerusalem back from the Muslims (since they ruled that area through the Ottoman Empire). So when George Bush used the word crusade to describe his intentions to eradicate terrorism in 2003, the entire Muslim community was not well pleased. This could account for a lot of confusion that has happened in the last few years. It's amazing how one word can be a powerful thing, for good or for bad. In Western culture we obviously think "crusade" is a strong word and that it's an noble and good quest.  It's good to be informed about these things so that we don't make mistakes like that on such a large scale. 

My eyes are being opened up even more to the world that has been at war since the time of Cain and Abel. I'm only one person, but I can make an impact in others' lives in how I treat them, in how I act. And ultimately I will have the responsibility to raise and care for more people to make a difference in the world. The world needs love now, more than anything. And if the only thing I can do is smile at my host sister and say "Have a good day!" - then I've made my difference. Christ would have us build up one another! Let's do it! All the time. 

In addition to walking a lot we visited the Uhrmuseum- which is a must see if you come to Vienna! It has hundreds of old clocks and watches that are centuries old! I took pictures there and on this walking tour. 


We ate lunch at this charming restaurant, they served us very large portions of Wiener Schnitzel- I really really love Wiener Schnitzel. Then we had potatoes and green salad on the side. 

During my time in Vienna I have rediscovered my love for Emperor's New Groove. Pretty much everybody in my group can quote that movie verbatim and it is a very beautiful thing. It releases tension and keeps up our spirits through the bitter cold.

I also had my first Gelato at Zanoni & Zanoni's. It was EPIC! I had strawberry (Erdbeere) and strawberry yogurt (Erdbeere joghurt). When visiting Vienna, you must go here!

Then most of us departed for the Outreach Institute- the place where YSAs gather for activities- and we watched Hairspray (yet another VERY good movie!) ... it was almost like I felt at home while watching that movie since it was so ME. And so American. And everything I've been doing up til now has been very Viennese. It's good to have times to go back to your roots and feel at home.  Then Elder and Sister Gill (the older missionary couple who serve there) made us waffles and hot chocolate!!!! I love waffles!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe My Dreams Are Too Small: Joining the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Close-up at the end of "Love One Another" on my first broadcast. I have been asked by a friend to share how I came to join the Mormon Tabernacle Choir . It's taken me a long time to put this post together. To get the full experience of this blog post, please watch the videos! I hope you'll enjoy listening to the songs. People often ask me, "What made you want to join the choir?" Grandma Bateman gave me  Consider the Lilies  soon after I turned fifteen. Mack Wilberg's grand arrangement of " I Believe in Christ " really caught my attention. I sat on my bed, captivated by the music and filled with the Spirit. The words and music of this hymn burned within my heart. I knew that what the choir sang about was true, and that Jesus was my Savior. I longed to sing with them. I knew then that I needed to join the choir. (Journal entry April 11, 2004, age 15) Happy Easter! It is my dream to become a part of the Mor...

Moving from our first home

We are moving from our first home in Eagle Mountain back to Provo in one month! We have loved our time out here. We have enjoyed making little home improvements to our place over the 2 1/2 years we've lived here but know that Provo is where we are supposed to be. Here's pictures of our place, which has already sold. We will remember our time here fondly! When we moved here, there was a low-hanging chandelier and unattractive fluorescent  kitchen lighting. We changed that!  There was also some crazy lighting in the front room.. see all the streaks on the walls? We got new lighting. And notice the PINK??  Fixed that too. Ashley and Ryan slept over once and really enjoyed moving around our sectional couch to make this bed-like area! We enjoyed being close to Thanksgiving point and going there for date nights or Family Nights!  Bike rides were also a favorite past time. Eagle Mountain sure has great biking trails and parks! ...

European Choir Tour 2016

I returned last week from the MoTab's European tour-- the first tour outside of the country in 18 years! (except a quick stint in Canada in 2003). What an experience. I felt like the whole experience was a missionary trip to uplift the hearts and minds of those who have been experiencing terrorist attacks throughout the year. Although I enjoyed touring the historic cities, nothing paralleled the feeling of singing for the people and hearing their enjoyment of our music. The music of the choir affected me greatly as a teenager, and I like to think that there were some in the audience who are like me, who came to feel the peace of the music amid these tumultuous times. This tour seemed to go more smoothly than the last one, despite it being a week longer and in seven countries where the native language isn't  English. We were more prepared as a choir with our repertoire, and I was personally more prepared. I was particularly excited to return to Austria!!!  :D All you gotta ...