Skip to main content

Verdi's Un ballo en maschera

Attending the Staatsoper's performance of Un ballo en maschera was an absolutely amazing experience. 

First of all, I was in standing room (Stehplatz). It cost me 4 euro. You file in, and are very very close to one another. There are bars to rest your arms on if you get tired. There are tiny screens every other person, connected to the bar, on which subtitles are played (either in German or English). 

There were two 15 minute  intermissions- between the first and second act, and between the second and third. It was really good they did that because I would have fallen down dead if I couldn't have sat on the ground!!

Between acts the lead singers would come out for a curtain call! It was insane! And the audience was wonderful. There were lots of "Bravo"s when people really liked certain arias-- which is something I am not used to. And everyone paid very good attention to what was going on, and definitely, you could tell that the applause was sincere. My favorite character, Oscar, was a phenomenal soprano with great agility (well, I would classify her as a soprano. Whether or not that role is supposed to be played by a mezzo or soprano, I do not know). And the audience clapped and whooted and hollered for her! 

The leading tenor was Ramon Vargas! Who apparently sang with Renee Flemming at the Met's Gala sometime in the fall. That night (Saturday the 1st of February, 2009) was his debut in the role of King Friedrich III (at least, I THINK that was his character's name). He cracked on one of his notes as he was dying, and it was funny to see the surprised look on his face when it happened- but it was great. He kept singing- and was amazing. But the baritone, Renato, who kills him- he was my favorite male voice. I was very impressed with the male roles in this show.

As for the actual plot and story- it didn't do much for me. But Verdi does write beautiful music. Amelia has some killer arias. 

The Staatsoper itself is a very beautiful building. It was destroyed during WWII due to bombings, but then was rebuilt and re-opened for shows in 1955. 





Afterward, all 10 of us went to the Mozart Cafe, which is right behind the Staatsoper for dessert. I ordered a cream cheese dumpling dessert with raspberry sauce! It was sehr gut! It was fun to sit and talk with my friends and see what they thought of the opera. They are so fun.

Click HERE for more pictures of the evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe My Dreams Are Too Small: Joining the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Close-up at the end of "Love One Another" on my first broadcast. I have been asked by a friend to share how I came to join the Mormon Tabernacle Choir . It's taken me a long time to put this post together. To get the full experience of this blog post, please watch the videos! I hope you'll enjoy listening to the songs. People often ask me, "What made you want to join the choir?" Grandma Bateman gave me  Consider the Lilies  soon after I turned fifteen. Mack Wilberg's grand arrangement of " I Believe in Christ " really caught my attention. I sat on my bed, captivated by the music and filled with the Spirit. The words and music of this hymn burned within my heart. I knew that what the choir sang about was true, and that Jesus was my Savior. I longed to sing with them. I knew then that I needed to join the choir. (Journal entry April 11, 2004, age 15) Happy Easter! It is my dream to become a part of the Mor...

Moving from our first home

We are moving from our first home in Eagle Mountain back to Provo in one month! We have loved our time out here. We have enjoyed making little home improvements to our place over the 2 1/2 years we've lived here but know that Provo is where we are supposed to be. Here's pictures of our place, which has already sold. We will remember our time here fondly! When we moved here, there was a low-hanging chandelier and unattractive fluorescent  kitchen lighting. We changed that!  There was also some crazy lighting in the front room.. see all the streaks on the walls? We got new lighting. And notice the PINK??  Fixed that too. Ashley and Ryan slept over once and really enjoyed moving around our sectional couch to make this bed-like area! We enjoyed being close to Thanksgiving point and going there for date nights or Family Nights!  Bike rides were also a favorite past time. Eagle Mountain sure has great biking trails and parks! ...

European Choir Tour 2016

I returned last week from the MoTab's European tour-- the first tour outside of the country in 18 years! (except a quick stint in Canada in 2003). What an experience. I felt like the whole experience was a missionary trip to uplift the hearts and minds of those who have been experiencing terrorist attacks throughout the year. Although I enjoyed touring the historic cities, nothing paralleled the feeling of singing for the people and hearing their enjoyment of our music. The music of the choir affected me greatly as a teenager, and I like to think that there were some in the audience who are like me, who came to feel the peace of the music amid these tumultuous times. This tour seemed to go more smoothly than the last one, despite it being a week longer and in seven countries where the native language isn't  English. We were more prepared as a choir with our repertoire, and I was personally more prepared. I was particularly excited to return to Austria!!!  :D All you gotta ...