Skip to main content

Kirche, Schatzkammer, Musik und Wienerschnitzel

Quite a few exciting things have happened to me in the past few days- let me try to recount them with some brevity. 

CHURCH:
On Sunday I attended the Vienna 1st Ward, which was entirely in German. I don't know about you, but 3 hours of listening to German can make you a little LOOPY. I thought it was hilarious- Sacrament meeting was last and all 10 of us were sitting together. It was fast and testimony meeting and so all these sweet Austrians were getting up to bear their testimonies. You could really feel the spirit, but we had just attended the opera the night before, so we were PLUMB tired. 

I sat between Britain and Rebekah. Rebekah was giving Naomi a back scratch, and they were going vice versa, down the row from me, Joseph had completely fallen asleep. Amy was also asleep behind me. Britain was nodding off so I eventually just told her to put her head on my shoulder... and then from behind, Laura started giving me a back scratch... It was really just a sight to see all these tired young Americans bound together by a common thread of Hunger, Exhaustion, and Lack of Comprehension.

But notwithstanding, I did understand some things and phrases. The Austrian saints are very strong, though there are few. I really loved it and look forward to going next week.

OUTREACH INSTITUTE:
There is a place in Vienna called the Outreach Institute where young single adults gather. We attended FHE there on Monday night. All of the Elders serving in Wien were there- and one of them gave a beautiful lesson on patience (I really needed it!). 

Then we played games together, and it was fun to meet some new friends. I can't remember all of them, but everyone was very kind. Then, Amy and I took Ty and Naomi on for a game of Foosball which was one of the CLOSEST games ever. It was epic. We won! Mostly due to Amy's skill, I'm sure- but it was an exciting victory nonetheless. 

Each Monday they serve dinner after FHE for the young single adults, so we will definitely be going back! Elder and Sister Gill are the missionary couple at the institute and they were so kind to all of us!

CLASS AT AAIE:
Fine Arts class is an amazing experience. Our teacher, Professor Kröll, has a vast amount of knowledge of everything Viennese/Austrian. On Wednesday we went to the Schatzkammer (treasure chamber) to see the crown jewels of the Austrian Empire, as well as many relics from the Holy Roman Empire, since the Hapsburg family was the ruling family of that empire for centuries! Click for pictures

Two stories really quick about things I saw in the Schatzkammer:

Narwhal Tusk:  The long Narwhal tusk was found washed up upon a beach somewhere. Apparently in the middle ages, everybody believed that it was proof of the existence of unicorns. Unicorns are mythical creatures that the Persians have many stories about. It was believed that the Unicorn is a wild and untamed animal (the horn on its head is a phallic symbol), and the only way that it will calm down is by sitting in the lap of a virgin (sorry if this is a little strange for some people, but I find it fascinating!). So these medieval people believed that Christ was conceived by Virgin Mary through a unicorn. That's why there are some pictures of a unicorn in a woman's lap. SO- If when they found this Narwhal tusk, it basically proved all of these legendary (and consequently PAGAN) myths. 

For some reason, I don't trust these peoples' logic. ;)

Gold Water Basin and Pitcher: These were given as gifts from a Turkish King to the Hapsburgs in 1517, for what reason, I know not. But the purpose of them is to wash your hands before you eat. A pretty beautiful/practical gift, right? Well, the Hapsburgs decided that it was too beautiful to be used every day so guess what they decided? They decided to use it for baptizing infants. That is right. Up until this time, baptism by immersion had been the common practice, but since it seemed a little hard, and too cold to baptize people in rivers and such, they decided to use these things to baptize babies. Then they made a tiny pitcher to match it, to pour oil like a cross on the baby's head. 

That was just one of many stories that Professor Kröll told us which reaffirmed some of my beliefs and helps me realize how blessed I am to live in 2009.

MUSICAL THINGS:
My lessons with Dr. Vincent are wonderful. I sang for him in Master Class today. The pieces I'm working on this semester are Der Kuss by Beethoven, Der Tod und Das Mädchen by Schubert, Fleur Jetee by Faure and Abendempfindung by Mozart. The scenes that I'm doing: Trio from Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute), Trio from Cosi fan tutte (So do they all- or something along those lines), The Flower Duet from Lakme, and a Duet from Martha by Flotow. 

I'm knee deep in music, but I guess that's the way I like it! ;) 

MISCELLANEOUS:
I am finding new ways to get around the city. Last night I saw Benjamin Button at the English Theater in downtown Wien, and I took the U-bahn to Stephansplatz instead of the S-bahn to Schwartzenbergplatz. This city has a lot of ways to get around. You just have to figure out what is fastest.

Benjamin Button was SOOO GOOD. Laura and I cried, and then we were dying because Brad Pitt is SOO hott. I almost want to go again, but I don't really want to spend my money on that when I could spend it on seeing an Opera or a Symphony Orchestra concert. 

Today Carli and I decided to search for a new good place to eat food. And we found one! Cafe Restaurant Schottenring!  We felt so sophistocated because there was a pianist playing on a grand. This place has been open for 130 years! It was nice, but not too pricy. We split Wiener Schnitzel! Our first Wiener Schitzel!! HOORAY!! It was very delicious. We recommend it to anyone who is going to come to Vienna. And then we had Topfenknudel for dessert. The bill was less than 15 euro for both of us, so between the food, good service, the nice atmosphere, and the music- we felt it was money well spent. 

Everyone is debating about taking a day trip somewhere on Saturday or tomorrow. I would simply like to do another walking tour of Vienna, since the weather is getting nicer. It's supposed to be up to 48 degrees tomorrow! That will make a huge difference in how long I will actually explore the city. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe My Dreams Are Too Small: Joining the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Close-up at the end of "Love One Another" on my first broadcast. I have been asked by a friend to share how I came to join the Mormon Tabernacle Choir . It's taken me a long time to put this post together. To get the full experience of this blog post, please watch the videos! I hope you'll enjoy listening to the songs. People often ask me, "What made you want to join the choir?" Grandma Bateman gave me  Consider the Lilies  soon after I turned fifteen. Mack Wilberg's grand arrangement of " I Believe in Christ " really caught my attention. I sat on my bed, captivated by the music and filled with the Spirit. The words and music of this hymn burned within my heart. I knew that what the choir sang about was true, and that Jesus was my Savior. I longed to sing with them. I knew then that I needed to join the choir. (Journal entry April 11, 2004, age 15) Happy Easter! It is my dream to become a part of the Mor...

Moving from our first home

We are moving from our first home in Eagle Mountain back to Provo in one month! We have loved our time out here. We have enjoyed making little home improvements to our place over the 2 1/2 years we've lived here but know that Provo is where we are supposed to be. Here's pictures of our place, which has already sold. We will remember our time here fondly! When we moved here, there was a low-hanging chandelier and unattractive fluorescent  kitchen lighting. We changed that!  There was also some crazy lighting in the front room.. see all the streaks on the walls? We got new lighting. And notice the PINK??  Fixed that too. Ashley and Ryan slept over once and really enjoyed moving around our sectional couch to make this bed-like area! We enjoyed being close to Thanksgiving point and going there for date nights or Family Nights!  Bike rides were also a favorite past time. Eagle Mountain sure has great biking trails and parks! ...

European Choir Tour 2016

I returned last week from the MoTab's European tour-- the first tour outside of the country in 18 years! (except a quick stint in Canada in 2003). What an experience. I felt like the whole experience was a missionary trip to uplift the hearts and minds of those who have been experiencing terrorist attacks throughout the year. Although I enjoyed touring the historic cities, nothing paralleled the feeling of singing for the people and hearing their enjoyment of our music. The music of the choir affected me greatly as a teenager, and I like to think that there were some in the audience who are like me, who came to feel the peace of the music amid these tumultuous times. This tour seemed to go more smoothly than the last one, despite it being a week longer and in seven countries where the native language isn't  English. We were more prepared as a choir with our repertoire, and I was personally more prepared. I was particularly excited to return to Austria!!!  :D All you gotta ...