Skip to main content

Days of Thankful: 12 - 17

What a week. The past few days I've thought "man, I need to blog!" but it simply didn't happen. Now it's finally happening! I am relying on my journal entries to remind myself of what happened each day...

November 12

Grateful for good companions from the mission. I had lunch with Sister Quist on campus- and it felt like old times. She and I were companions for Christmas 2 years ago! How time flies! I'm grateful that she was patient with me when we were companions and that she suggested we get together.

Also- grateful for Hercules. I watched it with my friends that night, and realized all the parallels to the gospel. Especially the moment when Hercules is sincerely questioning his identity and he kneels in sincere prayer- I thought of how that resembles Joseph Smith when he knelt in the Sacred Grove. And both received miraculous answers... except Joseph Smith actually did see God and Jesus Christ, and Hercules is a myth. I also enjoy Hercules' sacrifice on behalf of Meg, that reminded me of Christ and His Atonement.




November 13

Grateful for Savior of the World and Carissa and Deanna! I went to see Deanna perform in the Conference Center production of Savior of the World- it was so beautiful and brought back a flood of memories from performing in the show in Tacoma back in 2005. I love the music and message: If we want to follow Jesus Christ, we must be willing to be witnesses of Him and invite others to know of Him. That's what angels invited the shepherds to do after seeing the newborn Christ, and that's what Christ invited his apostles to do after His resurrection- "Feed my sheep."



November 14

Grateful for church leaders. I was able to attend a regional Relief Society training meeting with Sister Burton, the newly called Relief Society General President, and she was phenomenal. She had such a spirit of love about her. At General Conference, she invited everyone to "First Observe, Then Serve" their fellow men. And isn't that so true? We need to notice the way that people need help most, and serve according to their needs.

November 15

Grateful for priesthood blessings. I was struggling on Thursday and needed a boost. Priesthood blessings can be given when you are feeling sick, or need comfort or counsel. I know that priesthood blessings work and they help me in my day to day struggles.

November 16

Grateful that airline ticket prices aren't too high from SLC- SEA! At the very last minute when I was supposed to drive home to Washington for Thanksgiving with Sarah and Jordan, I got SUPER sick. Like mega sick. And the thought of being in a long car ride made me feel even more sick. So I got online and found awesome airline tickets for $140 back to WA, and bought my ticket for this coming Monday. I love you Southwest Airlines.

November 17

I am grateful for my job. I've been sick all morning... well, all day, actually. And despite that, I could still have enough energy to get on my laptop and do some transcribing for 3 hours. What a wonderful, flexible job! My office is closed today, but I could still work. What a blessing. 


Comments

i love hercules! wow great parallels i had never thought about those similarities before. great music too :) love you em!

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe My Dreams Are Too Small: Joining the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Close-up at the end of "Love One Another" on my first broadcast. I have been asked by a friend to share how I came to join the Mormon Tabernacle Choir . It's taken me a long time to put this post together. To get the full experience of this blog post, please watch the videos! I hope you'll enjoy listening to the songs. People often ask me, "What made you want to join the choir?" Grandma Bateman gave me  Consider the Lilies  soon after I turned fifteen. Mack Wilberg's grand arrangement of " I Believe in Christ " really caught my attention. I sat on my bed, captivated by the music and filled with the Spirit. The words and music of this hymn burned within my heart. I knew that what the choir sang about was true, and that Jesus was my Savior. I longed to sing with them. I knew then that I needed to join the choir. (Journal entry April 11, 2004, age 15) Happy Easter! It is my dream to become a part of the Mor...

Moving from our first home

We are moving from our first home in Eagle Mountain back to Provo in one month! We have loved our time out here. We have enjoyed making little home improvements to our place over the 2 1/2 years we've lived here but know that Provo is where we are supposed to be. Here's pictures of our place, which has already sold. We will remember our time here fondly! When we moved here, there was a low-hanging chandelier and unattractive fluorescent  kitchen lighting. We changed that!  There was also some crazy lighting in the front room.. see all the streaks on the walls? We got new lighting. And notice the PINK??  Fixed that too. Ashley and Ryan slept over once and really enjoyed moving around our sectional couch to make this bed-like area! We enjoyed being close to Thanksgiving point and going there for date nights or Family Nights!  Bike rides were also a favorite past time. Eagle Mountain sure has great biking trails and parks! ...

European Choir Tour 2016

I returned last week from the MoTab's European tour-- the first tour outside of the country in 18 years! (except a quick stint in Canada in 2003). What an experience. I felt like the whole experience was a missionary trip to uplift the hearts and minds of those who have been experiencing terrorist attacks throughout the year. Although I enjoyed touring the historic cities, nothing paralleled the feeling of singing for the people and hearing their enjoyment of our music. The music of the choir affected me greatly as a teenager, and I like to think that there were some in the audience who are like me, who came to feel the peace of the music amid these tumultuous times. This tour seemed to go more smoothly than the last one, despite it being a week longer and in seven countries where the native language isn't  English. We were more prepared as a choir with our repertoire, and I was personally more prepared. I was particularly excited to return to Austria!!!  :D All you gotta ...