Study Abroad has been life changing. I have learned so much about the culture, about people, the food,the music, dancing, recreation, and day to day life of the Austrians. But there is one part of the Study Abroad which is completely unique and can never be duplicated in any other time or place.


Always upbeat and honest, Rebekah is a wealth of information! Today Dr. Vincent asked her "Rebekah, is there anything you DON'T know?" She served a mission to Hong Kong (so she's fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese), is a linguistics major, has fabulous handwriting, sings Rossini Arias like they're no big deal, and whips out fun and random facts all the time. Not only that but she's such a good friend to everyone in our group. I look up to her in so many ways.
Carli is ... how do I even describe her? She's the listening ear, the classy one, the girl who loves buying semmels, strudel and schnitzel with me, she is my emotional support for dating Clay, she shared her bed with me when I was stranded after the ball, she has this adorable stomach gurgle, she is always so adventurous, she is a phenomenal mezzo-soprano, and she has a patience about her that I can't even begin to emulate.
Lawa, or at least that's what I call her, is bundles of fun. When my friend Michael visited us he told me that she reminds him of Brooke Hartzell (Young)... and actually I can see a lot of similarities. She is so supportive of all of the singers and keeps asking us questions about performing and such. She has some mannerisms that remind you of a 5 year old, but it's ok because she does it so cutely! And she loves food. Just give her some (preferably candy), and she's happy.
Joseph(pronounced YO-sef). He shares insights and ideas that sometimes are so foreign to me- but I've learned to love them and to chew on them and to think about life in a different dimension. He graciously offers to carry my suitcase around when it's a hassle. He's a gentleman. He loves to explore. And he is a fabulous piano player and accompanist- and he puts such feeling into everything that he plays. Thank you Yosef.

Amy is super duper fun and cute. She loves being married, as you can tell from how she is constantly looking for ways to make Shea happy. She is also a stellar performer and she gives great honest advice :) Her coloratura amazes all of the crowds we have performed for! We also share this affinity for dogs and always whine about wanting one. She has a great determined and focused attitude that helps get things done in our group! She's sporting her awesome new glasses that came in a package while we were here. Super cute!
Shea is the voice of reason. A powerful baritone with a knack for speaking German and making friends! He, like Joseph, helped me carry my luggage all around Salzburg. What a great guy! We laugh at a lot of the same things. Like parts from movies. Sometimes he is so unexpectedly funny- it's great. And he has a great laugh, by the way. He and Amy work so well together as newly weds- I believe they are coming up on their 11 month anniversary soon- Congratulations!!
This picture kind of sums him up. Meet Ty Turley-Trejo. The talented singer/songwriter of our group! He writes and performs his own contemorary music, but has jumped into the world of opera with an open mind and has been really supportive in every venue. He is very genuine and honest- and a truly great friend who loves to share experiences and feelings and live life to the fullest. Ty makes funny moments even funnier- he loves quoting people from the trip, and bringing up inside jokes. We rock out.
Britain is bunches of fun. She quotes movies and books and T.V. shows like nobody's business! She's quick to laugh and smile. She enjoys things like nobody else that I know. She is also so generous and loving. I've learned a lot from her giving nature. She is also one fabulous photographer! She has made an art out of taking pictures in the places we've been to- and I fully intend on stealing some of her pictures. She is also a powerful fellow soprano and it has been great to collaborate with her on this trip.
I've been blessed with an amazing group of supportive friends and teachers. Of course we didn't start out as close knit as we are now, but the joy was in the journey of discovering their lovely
personalities and learning to create a working environment of love and learning. I'm going to copy what a few of my friends have already done in blogs past and write a bit about each character in the story of my Vienna Experience, just as a tribute to them and my gratitude for the things I've learned from them.
Dr. Vincent is the leader of our group. He is the Opera Director at BYU. I first met him when I was a senior in high school- I arranged to have a voice lesson with him one weekend when I visited the Y, and he was friendly and kind and has continued to be supportive since that time. He knows Vienna like the back of his hand. He is so genuinely interested in the learning and growth of all of us students and is quick to share funny and wise stories from his years of performing in Vienna and other venues. He treats his wife with such love and compassion and it is a joy to learn from him both in class and just when we are traveling together.
Sister Vincent is Dr. Vincent's lovely wife. She is such a mother to all of us! And, I know she probably gets tired of all the comments about her height BUT, she's only about 4' 8" or something! She taught me a few voice lessons here that really changed my perspective on my voice and helped me grow. She is adorable and such a joy to work with!
Naomi is a sweetheart. Basically that's all you need to say, but there's so much to her. She never rides the escalator- she loves to climb the stairs! She's from Canada and we give her crap for it, but she's so funny and just laughs with us! She found me the gown that got me to the ball! How nice is that?? She can sense people's moods and fill their needs in such an easy and simple way. She also has helped film our concerts numerous times here in Vienna! I just love Naomi.
Comments