First day in New York! Today we had a relaxing morning and time to get breakfast in Times Square, upon which Alison and I ran into George Cohan, famous composer of "Give my regards to Broadway".
We left at 11:45 for Bethel Woods, the performance site which famously sits on the same grounds of the Woodstock music festival of 1969! Apparently it rained for 3 hours straight at one point of the festival and they stopped the shows until the rain passed. When we arrived at Woodstock it was raining-- so we had about 9 hours of continuous rain and wind! It was 54 degrees. In the middle of June!!
The venue is outside though luckily covered. We watched them set up the stage while we snuggled under my blanket for warmth.
Rich was sporting his blanket from the airplane, as were many others who didn't have jackets.
Being in the choir is an amazing experience that takes a lot of behind the scenes work. I can't even believe all the logistics involved. Barry Anderson helps us out a lot with that and he has such a funny sense of humor -- he commented that when we've been eating at different places we have been going through the buffet lines too slowly, analyzing each dish. He gave an example: "Is this arugula? Do you know if arugula is in season in this part of the country?" Haha he made us laugh at ourselves! Needless to say, I picked up the pace that evening getting my dinner.
You can't really tell how bad it's raining in this picture but this is how I went to/from our dinner to the performing hall before the concert.
So glad I found this umbrella at Union Station in DC yesterday!
Maybe you can see the river flowing in the sidewalk here: and three grown men all trying to share an umbrella. I offered for one of them to duck under mine and he gladly accepted!
These are my shows that got soaked: they are grey but they turned black because they were so water logged!I don't have any pictures of me in my performing dress but they let us wear our heaviest dress to keep us warm. I could see my breath on the stage as we sang! And everyone's hair was a little crazy. Wish I had gotten a picture of Janine Green's hair-- she could've been Janis Joplin, it was so frizzy from the rain! I love my friends I sing by and the memories we get to share!
This outdoor venue had a different musical program than the one we sang at Strathmore, so we had to brush up on our music. It always amazes me how emotional I get during "Guide Us O Thou Great Jehovah" and several other pieces. The world is getting crazier, and I find such solace in the words that we sing to praise the Lord for guiding us and keeping us safe. I know that the world is in His hands -- my trust is in Him. I cling to His words and the words of His prophets. Anyway-- I like to think that at these performances I am giving others a little bit of the peace that I feel when I sing or listen to the choir. It's so wonderful to take it to another audience.
The audience was adorable. They came even in this crazy weather with rain coats and ponchos, braving everything. We were glad they fit under the covered part of the arena :) I had a special love for them and they will be well remembered for coming!
The wind howled and gusts of wind and rain came through-- mostly to the orchestra on the edge of the stage and the organist! They were the real troopers- catching their music that flew off the stands quickly without missing a beat, literally!
The performance went well and we got back to the hotel at 12:30. And I learned that I'm on the same floor as Alex Boye :)










Comments