Skip to main content

They say when you marry in June...

Fooled ya! Not getting married. Not even going to a wedding. I did attend a beautiful reception for some co-workers a few weeks back, but nope. No ma-wage for moi. I just like that song.

It's 12:45 AM and my mind is so busy, I can't sleep. I ate a huge freshly-baked cinnamon roll and drank a large Dr. Pepper with my friend Emily tonight (and really, her name is Emily, I'm not saying that I had this munchie-fest all by myself--- but who's says it's a shame to eat stuff like that alone? *shifts eyes around nervously*)

As I grabbed the link for the "All By Myself" music video, a commercial flashed: "You can hide uneven skin tone from [here], but what about {zooms in for a close-up of a woman's face} [here]?"

Really, lady? really? hide my uneven skin tone? I'm not trying to hide my skin when I put on makeup, and I'm also unafraid of people looking at me from 5 feet away and noticing little imperfections in my face. What exactly are we hiding from? The inevitable wrinkles that come from SMILING too much? Heaven forbid we enjoy our lives without hiding it.

{It has just been brought to my attention that there are many good people in this world who are grateful for some cosmetic cover-up for purposes of acne scars, and other such things. Please don't take offense to my rant--- I do understand makeup. I even like it, but indulge me a bit.}

Could you see a man doing a commercial like this? Men: how afraid are you that your skin tone is uneven? I mean, it's gotta be on the top 10 list of little problems you want to fix about yourself this summer. Tell me all about it.

On Sundays, I put on oodles of makeup (at least as compared with my daily regimen) so I look polished for Music & the Spoken Word. And maybe, just maybe, you'll see me on camera for 5 seconds as a little pin-prick amongst a sea of singers. I did get lucky on my first broadcast with a close-up but this is NOT normal.

One such Sabbath following church I flung my exhausted frame upon my bed and slept for hours, makeup and all (don't recommend it). I awoke with a rumbly stomach to a text message from a dearly beloved man-friend of mine: "You're invited to consume milk and cookies at my apartment." And how could I say no??

I rolled out of bed, washed my face of all makeup traces, put on my glasses to cover up my makeupless face, and meandered slowly toward his house to consume these morsels of delectability. After chatting with man-friend, I went straight for the cookies. No shame. I waded through a sea of people to plant myself, albeit in the midst of a hub of social activity, right by the oven. *Yay! Fresh cookies for MEEE! I will eat all the things.*

As the chocolate-chip cookies melted in my mouth, I made small talk with several people standing very close to me, including the chef, all hovering around the aroma of freshly-baked gooey chocolatey goodness. I tried to maintain friendly but distant conversation, as my face was, shall I say, exposed. I was at man-friend's house for 10 minutes, maximum (I also feel that eating cookies is an important activity which should not be procrastinated, so I eat them as quickly as possible).

A few days later, the chef of these cookies asked me on a date. Wait, what? You want to go out with uneven-skin-tone-girl? I know I looked like crap when I met him. But apparently he didn't care.... Wait, can you be serious?

Yes, yes, I can.

Did I go to this party wanting a date? No. I had a major cookie-consumption agenda to execute. But didn't he care about my uneven skin tone? No. He thought I was nice...He maybe even thought I was attractive. (I've heard that's why men ask women out, but who knows...)

So all I'm trying to say is, be yourself. If you're wearing some makeup, great. If you go out and you have none on, that's awesome too! We have so much more to worry about in this world than the evenness of our skin tone. So much more.  And the more we start thinking of ways to make life better for our families, friends, and the world at large, the better off we will be.

So what's your insecurity? Don't answer that. Just think it to yourself.



Decide now that your insecurity is not as important as loving the people around you. And the moment that you start living this way, your whole world will change. Promise.

I'm not saying I'm going into public without makeup ALL the time, but I sure as heck am not afraid of doing it anymore.


Comments

Great post! I find myself getting so caught up in what others think about how I appear, when usually they really don't care! It's a silly thing to waste time and worry over.
Anonymous said…
Don't leave us hanging! How did the date go? Has there already been a second? Inquiring minds need to know.
Unknown said…
Inquiring anonymous minds?? Haha! The date went well, and a new friendship was born! There are no future dates planned :)
Unknown said…
Haha yeah, and I wish I could say that I'm not totally vain and that I always do the natural thing, but I don't. It's just when you get to the point of hiding yourself! What a crazy world we live in...

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe My Dreams Are Too Small: Joining the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Close-up at the end of "Love One Another" on my first broadcast. I have been asked by a friend to share how I came to join the Mormon Tabernacle Choir . It's taken me a long time to put this post together. To get the full experience of this blog post, please watch the videos! I hope you'll enjoy listening to the songs. People often ask me, "What made you want to join the choir?" Grandma Bateman gave me  Consider the Lilies  soon after I turned fifteen. Mack Wilberg's grand arrangement of " I Believe in Christ " really caught my attention. I sat on my bed, captivated by the music and filled with the Spirit. The words and music of this hymn burned within my heart. I knew that what the choir sang about was true, and that Jesus was my Savior. I longed to sing with them. I knew then that I needed to join the choir. (Journal entry April 11, 2004, age 15) Happy Easter! It is my dream to become a part of the Mor...

Moving from our first home

We are moving from our first home in Eagle Mountain back to Provo in one month! We have loved our time out here. We have enjoyed making little home improvements to our place over the 2 1/2 years we've lived here but know that Provo is where we are supposed to be. Here's pictures of our place, which has already sold. We will remember our time here fondly! When we moved here, there was a low-hanging chandelier and unattractive fluorescent  kitchen lighting. We changed that!  There was also some crazy lighting in the front room.. see all the streaks on the walls? We got new lighting. And notice the PINK??  Fixed that too. Ashley and Ryan slept over once and really enjoyed moving around our sectional couch to make this bed-like area! We enjoyed being close to Thanksgiving point and going there for date nights or Family Nights!  Bike rides were also a favorite past time. Eagle Mountain sure has great biking trails and parks! ...

European Choir Tour 2016

I returned last week from the MoTab's European tour-- the first tour outside of the country in 18 years! (except a quick stint in Canada in 2003). What an experience. I felt like the whole experience was a missionary trip to uplift the hearts and minds of those who have been experiencing terrorist attacks throughout the year. Although I enjoyed touring the historic cities, nothing paralleled the feeling of singing for the people and hearing their enjoyment of our music. The music of the choir affected me greatly as a teenager, and I like to think that there were some in the audience who are like me, who came to feel the peace of the music amid these tumultuous times. This tour seemed to go more smoothly than the last one, despite it being a week longer and in seven countries where the native language isn't  English. We were more prepared as a choir with our repertoire, and I was personally more prepared. I was particularly excited to return to Austria!!!  :D All you gotta ...