Skip to main content

What I Learned and Felt -- Seminary Teaching

I felt inspired to take this class, and therefore thought that I would learn how to become a seminary teacher, and this would be a path my life could take. While I have decided that being a Seminary Teacher is not the career path for me, what I have come away with is a breadth and depth of knowledge about the gospel, with a more firm resolve to immerse myself in the scriptures, and turn others to scripture as well. In an address to religious educators in 1975, Spencer W. Kimball promised,
            There are blessings that come from immersing ourselves in the scriptures. The distance narrows between ourselves and our Father in heaven. Our spirituality shines brighter. We love more intensely those whom we should love. It is much easier to follow counsel. The lessons of life are learned more readily and surely. (Preservice Readings, 23)
I have come to cling to these promises as I have taken this class and learned the importance of teaching scripture and pure doctrine to seminary and institute students.  A few things have stuck out to me as important things to know when you are leading and teaching: to be personally close to the Savior, to love the students, and to allow scripture to teach.
            My teaching is only as powerful as my connection to heaven, and to my neighbor. If the first commandment is to love God and second is to love neighbor then I need to have those priorities straight to be an effective preacher. During my first seminary class, because I was so nervous, I prayed for a calm heart and mind, and that I could love the students. I spent hours of painstaking preparation, finding dead ends one way and another way. But in the end, the lesson went well because of my prayers to Heavenly Father, not because of any talent that I personally possess. He guided me, and I felt it. I believe the students felt it as well. The Gospel Teaching and Learning Manual states that teachers who understand the Holy Ghost’s role in the classroom will “be serene in their hearts rather than feeling upset and anxious about other things” (11). I felt a sense of reassurance as I went into teaching the students, and I knew the Spirit would help me. Were there things I would change if I could go back and do my first lesson over again? Absolutely. But did God care about my fledgling effort to provide spiritual insight to His children? Yes. And that’s why my prayer was so crucial to succeeding in the classroom—for my prayer brought the Spirit. Nephi has taught us to “pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul” (2 Nephi 32:9). My love for the Savior, and trust in Him through keeping His commandments and praying to Him will in large measure determine the spiritual outpouring that comes into the classroom as I teach and love the students.
            How can we show love to our students in the classroom when we have never met them? My favorite BYU professor is Wade Hollingshaus. He teaches in the Theater department, he learned my name in a classroom of over 150 students six years ago. He would call on me, and other students, by name in class and say hello to me by name as he passed me in the halls of the building. He still does that today. Professor Hollingshaus was following the pattern of Heavenly Father in his teaching. When Joseph Smith asked which church to join, Heavenly Father called him by name before instructing him (JS-H 1:17). I knew that if the seminary students were going to learn anything from me, they needed to know that I cared about them by calling them by name.  My efforts were rewarded in class with more attentive students. I think they were surprised that a stranger like myself would remember their names without forgetting them. I certainly felt a much deeper connection to my students when I listened to them tell me something about themselves, and then call on them by name. My teaching skills might not have been the best, but they had to have known that I loved them, the way that I said their names when their hands were raised. And on my second teaching assignment, I made sure to approach each student I had not previously met in order to ask their name and support and uplift them, so they could get to know me too. I felt that I was focused on the mission to bless the youth and young adults of the church—not to impress them, but really to bless their lives (GTL, 1). A little bit of love goes a long way. It was just a start to what would have been a longer journey of showing love to the students had I taken the two-week teaching route.
            I know that the scriptures contain truth. I rely on scripture, and know that the Lord can teach through His Spirit, if I will bridge the gap between scripture and student by making it relevant. President Ezra Taft Benson quoted Harold B. Lee, “Our members are hungry for the gospel, undiluted, with its abundant truths and insights…. There are those who have seemed to forget that the most powerful weapons the Lord has given us against all that is evil are His own declarations, the plain simple doctrines of salvation as found in the scriptures” (Preservice Readings, 40-41). If the students aren’t hungry for the doctrine in my classroom when they first arrive, they had better be hungering after it by the time they leave. As a teacher, I am to confidently express my love and testimony of the scriptures—for they will remain with the students long after I am gone. I remember the spiritual feeling that came into the room as I had students ponder over Helaman 3:35. To help them think about this in a deeper way, I asked them to get their journals out, and asked “Who is an example of humility to you?” I saw the pencils and pens scribbling away as each person thought of a person who they knew who exemplified attributes of humility from this scripture. A sweet spirit flooded the room, and I knew they were thinking about what they could do to be more like that individual, they were thinking of how to apply the doctrine from the scripture to their own life. The scripture and the question united to helping students learn to love the scripture and look here for their answers.
            How grateful I am for good seminary teachers who taught and blessed my life. Just a month ago, my first seminary teacher from 9th grade, Brother Peterson, contacted me to let me know he was coming to Salt Lake and wanted to see me rehearse with the Tabernacle Choir for conference. After we met up, he said, “I remember ten years ago, you told me that your goal was to be in the Choir. You did it!” I sure don’t remember much about what Brother Peterson taught me over ten years ago, but I do know that he cared about me and my goals, he loved the Lord, and he loved the scriptures. That is the kind of teacher and leader that I would like to be—remembered for my love of the Lord and the love I have for my students, and love for the scriptures and their power to convert and change lives. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe My Dreams Are Too Small: Joining the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Close-up at the end of "Love One Another" on my first broadcast. I have been asked by a friend to share how I came to join the Mormon Tabernacle Choir . It's taken me a long time to put this post together. To get the full experience of this blog post, please watch the videos! I hope you'll enjoy listening to the songs. People often ask me, "What made you want to join the choir?" Grandma Bateman gave me  Consider the Lilies  soon after I turned fifteen. Mack Wilberg's grand arrangement of " I Believe in Christ " really caught my attention. I sat on my bed, captivated by the music and filled with the Spirit. The words and music of this hymn burned within my heart. I knew that what the choir sang about was true, and that Jesus was my Savior. I longed to sing with them. I knew then that I needed to join the choir. (Journal entry April 11, 2004, age 15) Happy Easter! It is my dream to become a part of the Mor...

Moving from our first home

We are moving from our first home in Eagle Mountain back to Provo in one month! We have loved our time out here. We have enjoyed making little home improvements to our place over the 2 1/2 years we've lived here but know that Provo is where we are supposed to be. Here's pictures of our place, which has already sold. We will remember our time here fondly! When we moved here, there was a low-hanging chandelier and unattractive fluorescent  kitchen lighting. We changed that!  There was also some crazy lighting in the front room.. see all the streaks on the walls? We got new lighting. And notice the PINK??  Fixed that too. Ashley and Ryan slept over once and really enjoyed moving around our sectional couch to make this bed-like area! We enjoyed being close to Thanksgiving point and going there for date nights or Family Nights!  Bike rides were also a favorite past time. Eagle Mountain sure has great biking trails and parks! ...

European Choir Tour 2016

I returned last week from the MoTab's European tour-- the first tour outside of the country in 18 years! (except a quick stint in Canada in 2003). What an experience. I felt like the whole experience was a missionary trip to uplift the hearts and minds of those who have been experiencing terrorist attacks throughout the year. Although I enjoyed touring the historic cities, nothing paralleled the feeling of singing for the people and hearing their enjoyment of our music. The music of the choir affected me greatly as a teenager, and I like to think that there were some in the audience who are like me, who came to feel the peace of the music amid these tumultuous times. This tour seemed to go more smoothly than the last one, despite it being a week longer and in seven countries where the native language isn't  English. We were more prepared as a choir with our repertoire, and I was personally more prepared. I was particularly excited to return to Austria!!!  :D All you gotta ...