This doesn't sound like a very happy post... well, you're right, it's not a happy thing to talk about death. But at my funeral, I was thinking about this... I would like there to be mostly music. Maybe brief little snippets of talking, but mostly singing and playing. I've begun to compile a list of what I want performed at my funeral, and here are the first two.
Behold, a Royal Army
I used to sing this song every week at the MTC as I taught the missionaries. Something about singing together with missionaries is super special, especially when you sing "Victory through Him that redeemed us!" Missionaries have their minds focused on eternal goals and purposes-- helping unite families together forever, and they understand that all their goals are accomplished through Jesus Christ.
When I die, I'm going out of this world rejoicing. I know it's a long ways off to even think about, but I want people knowing that when I die, it's victorious because Christ is our Redeemer. And I want people drawn to Christ at my funeral. I want people to imagine me singing this song at the top of my lungs!!
Happy and Blessed Are They from Mendelssohn's St. Paul
We just sang this piece on Sunday. Wow, talk about powerful. I can't believe I haven't heard this piece until now- you are going to LOVE it. It is so peaceful and reassuring-- that those who endure to the end are happy and blessed when they pass on. If the world lived their lives this way-- looking forward to the ends of their life hoping to be in a happy and blessed state, the world would be a much better place.
I know that though our bodies die, our souls live on. And even better than that, I know that because Jesus Christ was resurrected, everybody will be resurrected! This is good news, people! And I want people to know it when they hear this song. The peace that this knowledge brings is beyond words.
Behold, a Royal Army
I used to sing this song every week at the MTC as I taught the missionaries. Something about singing together with missionaries is super special, especially when you sing "Victory through Him that redeemed us!" Missionaries have their minds focused on eternal goals and purposes-- helping unite families together forever, and they understand that all their goals are accomplished through Jesus Christ.
When I die, I'm going out of this world rejoicing. I know it's a long ways off to even think about, but I want people knowing that when I die, it's victorious because Christ is our Redeemer. And I want people drawn to Christ at my funeral. I want people to imagine me singing this song at the top of my lungs!!
Happy and Blessed Are They from Mendelssohn's St. Paul
We just sang this piece on Sunday. Wow, talk about powerful. I can't believe I haven't heard this piece until now- you are going to LOVE it. It is so peaceful and reassuring-- that those who endure to the end are happy and blessed when they pass on. If the world lived their lives this way-- looking forward to the ends of their life hoping to be in a happy and blessed state, the world would be a much better place.
I know that though our bodies die, our souls live on. And even better than that, I know that because Jesus Christ was resurrected, everybody will be resurrected! This is good news, people! And I want people to know it when they hear this song. The peace that this knowledge brings is beyond words.
Comments