- Boyd K. Packer
I'm reading this book right now and encourage anyone who hasn't to read it- it is a fabulous book about how to teach moral principles, based on how Christ taught His disciples in the New Testament. I've been able to examine how I learn, and how I can teach others, even when I don't formally teach a class or have any kind of training.
p.s. I just love the retro book style- this cover is the first edition, but there have been several since its publication in 1975
Comments
O teach me what is good; teach me Thyself!
Save me from folly, vanity, and vice,
From every low pursuit; and fill my soul
With knowledge, conscious peace, and virtue pure;
Sacred, substantial, never-fading bliss!"
This is a little prayer that Benjamin Franklin took from Thompson's Poems to help motivate him in the life-long aquisition of his 13 Virtues (See Benjamin Franklin's Art of Virtue, edited by George L. Rogers, Third Edition, 1996, Acorn Publishing, MA, p. 47).
I read "Teach Ye Diligently" for a class I took at BYU. What a great book!
How can God teach us [Himself] via the Holy Spirit, except we take the time to ask ourselves how we feel about what we learn from his prophets, past and present, as well as our own experiences? Most of the revelations in the D&C Joseph Smith recieved as he pondered both scriptures and personal experiences, then sat still long enough for God to reveal truths to him that we benefit from even today.
I remember, as a BYU student, driving away from a tour of a possible job in West Jordan, UT. I was determined that I would reject this job. I wanted to make sure my choice was a good one, so with a prayer in my heart I opened the D&C. A verse caught my eye and as I read it spoke to me, giving me a direct and strong reason to take this job after all. Years later, the earnings from this job met a huge financial need my family had. I am sure glad that God sees further down the road than I can and during a moment of introspection give me much needed guidance.
-Uncle Byron